Postmodernism

I was left confused after reading both readings on Postmodernism. I had to re-read the Disneyland reading to get a better grasp of it, however there were still aspects of both readings that left me puzzled. My main confusion is what exactly postmodernists believe about reality. In the Postmodernist intro reading, it is stated that "postmodernist city-dwellers are alienated, living in a hallucination, an exhilarating blur, a reality evaporating into mere images, spectacles, strange new warps in time and space...". I took this to mean that postmodernists are always living in such a hallucinating and alienated way. In the Disneyland example, it seems that he is saying that adults go to Disneyland so that they can hide behind the fact that they are childish in reality. Therefore, I took this to mean that when these people are only in Disney can they be their true, childish selves, and when they reenter the world they have to pretend again and hide who they really are. I feel like these two views contradict each other, therefore I need more clarification.

Image result for disneyland postmodernism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meraki Art Show Reception

The Whole Ball of Wax

Joyce Yu-Jean Lee