Data Visualization

Image result for data visualization



I honestly had no idea what data visualization was until I watched this video. I realize that data visualization is everywhere, and just didn't know it was a thing. I had no idea that it had a name or that people make a career out of it. I didn't know that people came up with creative, beautiful, and artistic ways to convey information with an intended plan behind it. I am really glad that this new type of artistic talent was brought to my attention, because looking at the examples in the video was really fascinating because I realized the amount of effort and thought goes into these data visualizations. We live in a world with so much complex data that we constantly have to process. I see now how visualization of data has become an crucial tool not only to convey ideas and content, but to help people make sense of it and as the video says: "to learn something, and not to confirm something".

I liked how one man in the video talked about how a successful data visualization tells a story, and it communicates complex data in a way that many people can understand. There is a hierarchy and narrative to the graphics he discusses. There is one key fact that is the hero of the piece that people respond to immediately, and then the rest of the story revolves around it. The goal is to translate complicated data to something simple. This was definitely an enlightening video and I am looking forward to the data visualization that we will be completing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meraki Art Show Reception

The Whole Ball of Wax

Joyce Yu-Jean Lee