Joyce Yu-Jean Lee

Last Wednesday, I attended Joyce Yu-Jean Lee's artist talk from 5-6 pm. I really enjoyed her story and I was interested to learn about her style of art, because it is one that I have never had that much previous exposure to. Growing up in a very traditional family, she shared with us that being an artist was not a responsible or practical thing to do. She was supposed to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. I really respected her honesty when telling us about her family because sometimes that can be a hard thing to open up about. In her case, everything that happened to her in her life and how she grew up affected and influenced her path to where she is today.

I made a personal connection with something that she spoke about when figuring out what she wanted to do in her life. She discussed all of the jobs and internships she had in fashion, realizing that she hated them and loved shadowing the Japanese artist. She mentioned how knowing something that you don't like is just as important as what you do like. In my case, I am in the Speech-Language- Hearing Science major at Loyola and initially, I always thought I wanted to be a speech therapist. I learned after a few years that I could not see myself in that profession, which influenced me to look into audiology as a future career (which is what I am currently applying to graduate school for). It was learning about what I did not like that helped me figure out what I did.

 Joyce Yu-Jean Lee talked about how she was artistically influenced by tragedies in her life. She said how she asked herself, if tragedy struck tomorrow, what do I want to be doing with my life? After continuing her career as a media strategist, then starting at MICA as a painter, and now finding her way as a video artist is inspiring to me as someone who changed paths a few times before deciding on an area of study to continue. One last thing that I really admired about her work is when she mentioned that since people my age only look at art for 3-8 seconds, she wanted to find ways to capture our attention. We use technology in a distracting way, but Joyce Yu-Jean Lee uses technology in an opposite way in order to gain viewer's attention. Overall, I enjoyed this artist talk and the experience. Learning about a different side of art was informative and opened my eyes so something new.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meraki Art Show Reception

The Whole Ball of Wax